Tuesday, February 1, 2011

My First Fondant Cake

Here's my first attempt at cake decorating with fondant, in preparation for my DIY wedding cake. For his birthday, J was expecting a PlayStation 3 cake (which I found too easy and predictable), so I made him an all-edible (Starcraft 2) Protoss Nexus instead! Surprise! The end product reminds me of a 4th grade project but I guess it was okay for my first try.

Cake: J's favorite Black Forest (I used my trusty chocolate cake recipe) with white chocolate ganache frosting and MMF.


Wrapped in cling wrap for transport

I had a terribly hard time covering the horseshoe shape!
It looks really sloppy compared to the rest of the cake.

The fondant cracked a bit at the top.
The other parts can be separated from the main Nexus like mini-cakes.

The cake was REALLY yummy though!  


Filling: Cherries, ganache, and chocolate curls


Must. Practice. More.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | Blogger Templates